New Years at The Dome ~ The Blonde B

8 January 2014

New Years at The Dome

I've always been one to think New Year's is a bit of a let down. You are forced to go out & celebrate. That's why every year I chose to spend it with my family, albeit working in the family restaurant. It meant I got to earn money and be with all the people I loved.


However, last year the parents closed up the restaurant and flew to London to see the fireworks, to my absolute horror! So I, impulsively, flew to Edinburgh and had one of the best night's ever at Hogmanay's street party welcoming 2013. 

This year I was back in Edinburgh but at a much classier New Years event. All of my summer camp Echo friends were reuniting for one night only for a black-tie affair at the Dome. Durham spoilt me with black and white-tie events and I've definitely had withdrawal symptoms since graduating. This was going to be perfect! 

Siempre he sido de las que piensan que Noche Vijea es una decepción porque tienes que a celebrarlo y divertirte a la fuerza. Por eso, cada año decidí pasarlo en familia, vale trabajando en el restaurante de mis padres pero estaba con todas las personas que queria. 

El año pasado, mis padres me sorprendieron cuando cerraron el restaurante y fueron a Londres a ver los fuegos artificiales. Entonces yo, la impulsiva, me fui a Edinburgo a celebrar el Hogmany en la fiesta callejera y ¡me lo pase de maravilla!

Este Año Nuevo regresé a Edinburgo pero en un evento con más clase. Todos mis amigos de Echo, el campamento de verano dónde trabajé en Nueva York, se reunían en el Dome para celebrar el nuevo año. Una fiesta de traje y vestido. Durham me había acostumbrado a las fiestas con traje de etiqueta, y desde que acabé los echaba de menos. Entonces ¡esto iba a ser perfecto!

Firstly, the dress, which I ordered extremely last minute. Classic Char! So glad it arrived on time.
Primero el vestido, que pedí online super tarde. ¡Menos mal que llegó a tiempo! 
 And Irene's dress (my fellow Spaniard). Y el de Irene (también española). 
Team Spanish. 
Okay our room wasn't the most stylish of places to take photos, but just you wait for the twinkly lights at the Dome! You will undoubtedly go 'Aaaaaaaahhhh' 'Uuuuuuhhhhh' 'Iiiiiiiiiiiiihhhh'
Vale, admito que nuestra habitación no es el lugar ideal para hacernos fotos, pero ¡espérate a las luces increíbles en el Dome! Dirás `Aaaaahhhhh´ `Uuuuuuuhhh´ `Iiiiiiiiiiiiih´ sin falta. 
 
Get ready to be amazed. Drum roll please. Prepárate para asombrarte. 
Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhh
Uuuuuuuuuuhhhh
Iiiiiiiiiiiihhhhh
See? I told you! ¿Ves? ¡Te lo dije!
                                 
Stunning huh? ¿Precioso no?
The downstairs had a cool circular bar with a gigantic Christmas tree sprouting from it and a DJ blasting out the classic party tunes. 
La habitación de abajo guardaba una barra circular de la cual brotaba un árbol de navidad brillante y un DJ animando la fiesta
Meet some beautiful Echo people. Not sure whether its the setting that makes us look beautiful though! 
Conoce a unos guapos de Echo. ¡Aunque temo es la decoración que nos exalta la belleza!
There were men in kilts, and Tom. Había hombres con falda escocesa, y Tom.
And more twinkly lights. Y más luces increíbles. 

Then, Natalie, Sarah and I snuck off for a mini photo shoot.
Después Natalie, Sarah y yo nos escapamos para hacernos una mini sesión de fotos. 
Until we got busted by Jamie... But he joined in too! 
Hasta que nos pilló Jamie... pero ¡Él también se unió!
Then we moved upstairs for the ceilidh. Luego subimos arriba a bailar el ceilidh escocés. 
Young, Scottish gentleman in kilts asking you to dance and sweeping you off your feet (or heels)! Who said men can't dance?
Jóvenes escoceses en falda escocesa pidiéndote la mano para bailar ¡totalmente conquistadores! ¿Quién dijo los hombres no sabían bailar?
I really had to give my little feet a rest and got distracted by some Echo favourites.   
Mis pies estaban reventados, los tenía que descansar y me distraí con mis favoritos de Echo.
With my favourite little redhead (and old flatmate!) Steph.
Con mi peliroja favorita (¡y mi ex compañera de piso!) Steph.
We went on a man-hunt for waiters with canapés and demolished almost all of them, salmon fishcakes, haggis balls... I was so distracted by the food I completely forgot to snap any of them. You will just have to take my word that they were simply scrumptious! 
Fuimos a cazar camareros con canapés y nos los zampamos casi todos: las croquetas de pescado, albóndigas de haggis etc... La comida me distrayó tanto que se me olvidó por completo de tomar fotos. ¡Tendrás que creerme cuando digo que estaban riquísimas!
Then we bumped in to Lucy. Luego nos encontramos a Lucy. 
My fellow College Dean, Amelia. Do you remember her from Summer Camp Part III
Ashley. Rainbows & unicorns & cupcakes really should be in the photo cause she is adorable.
Ashley. Esta foto debería tener tener arco iris, unicornios y cupcakes porque es adorable. 
Kudos to Sarah for surviving an Echo get-together, they can get a little crazy.
¡Bravo Sarah por sobrevivir la reunión de Echo! Esque a veces se pueden descontrolar. 
Lifeguards in the loo. Socorristas en el baño. 
Bennyyyy

And these two jokers. Y estos payasos. 
Let's not forget young Charlie! ¡No olvidemos al joven Charlie!
After ringing in midnight and singing 'Old Lang Syne', I sadly had to explain to Irene the grapes are a Spanish tradition. I completely forgot to bring grapes with me too, so let's hope bad luck doesn't pay me a visit in 2014. 
Tras tocar las 12 y cantar el `Old Lang Syne´ típico británico, tuve que explicarle a Irene que las uvas sólo se toman en España. A mi se me olvidó por completo traer mis propias uvas ¡Esperemos que no me llegue la mala suerte en el 2014!
Finally the Echo men had had enough of being stood up by all the young Scottish ceilidh-dancing gentlemen, they decided to start their own party downstairs with the DJ. 
Finalmente los hombres de Echo se hartaron de los caballeros escoceses que sabían bailar y montaron su propia fiesta en la pista de abajo con el DJ. 
We danced in to the early hours until my sore feet could no longer hack it. 

New Years at the Dome is a warmer and alternative event to Edinburgh's street party. For anyone visiting the city you simply MUST go to the Dome, whether its to celebrate New Years or simply for some afternoon tea. They put up their Christmas decorations around October, so you have plenty of time to enjoy them. The staff make you feel like a Hollywood movie star in a 5 star hotel and it's always nice to treat yourself. 

Happy New Year y'all!

Bailamos hasta casi el amanecer, cuando mis pies ya no podían más. 

Año  Nuevo en el Dome es una alternativa más abrigada a la fiesta callejera en Edinburgo. Si vas a visitar la ciudad tienes que ir al Dome, pero FIJO, si es para celebrar noche vieja o sólo para tomar una merienda. Montan las decoraciones de Navidad en octubre, asi que tienes tiempo de sobra para admirarlas. ¡Son increíbles! Los empleados te tratan como un actor de Hollywood en un hotel de 5 estrellas y siempre es bueno permitirte algún lujo. 

¡Feliz 2014 mi gente!

7 comments:

  1. Patricia Robling8 January 2014 at 12:08

    Looks as if you had a ball...Great photos and comments on the whole evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look lovely and it looks as if you had a great time. The dome looks fabulous xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Michelle! Happy New Year xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Q bien Charlotte Burt in fact yep we all need to go to the Dome....lovely photos...lovely blog..take care...xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi! thanks for your sweet comment! The Dome looks great and sounds like it was a wonderful evening! All the best for 2014!


    http://pomegranateandcoffee.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to go next year,it looks amazing!! Fun was had by all it seems xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. cute! I normally work the restaurant where I've been for the past few years as well, but this year I had a chance to do whatever I wanted! I decided to be sleeping on my couch by 11:30 though... haha!

    xoxo
    Taylor

    www.welcomehometaylor.com

    ReplyDelete