Camps Bay: SA Diaries ~ The Blonde B

25 January 2017

Camps Bay: SA Diaries

I never really knew what I wanted to do when I was older.



But whatever my job may be, I knew there were 3 things that I for sure knew I wanted to do:


Travel

Use my languages

Meet and work with people from all over the world and not let everyday be the same


Somehow, my passions became a reality and my job in power tools was taking me to South Africa.

To say I was ecstatic, would be the least... Inside I was leaping with joy!

Christmas and New Year were spent at home in Spain and after a couple of days of 2017 in the office, I was sat on a plane ready for my 11 hour flight to Cape Town. We had a big video shoot to film and we needed some Winter sun... so naturally, Cape Town!

We arrived and I instantly fell in love. There is just a vibe to Cape Town or maybe South Africa in general, but whatever it was, I wanted more.

After 2 hours, I was already saying I wanted to come back.

Our first weekend we stayed in Camps Bay. The rather idyllic coastal town to the east of Cape Town.



Camps Bay is a delightful introduction to Cape Town. A little on the touristy-side, but nonetheless picturesque, a proper Summer getaway. 

It boasts some of the most delicious restaurants and cocktail bars on their seafront and everyone was just smiling happy and enjoying the Summer. 



The beach is stunning, we just couldn't lie on it.

Cape Town gets hit hard by the wind in January. The stunning mountain ranges that surround Cape Town make for a beautiful picture but it also brings all sorts of micro-climates, rolling clouds and lots and lots of wind.



We had up to 40km/h winds which made it hard to sit on the beach without getting wind and sand blasted!



We were only there for a few days but I can say with certainty some of the best restaurants to try whilst you are there should definitely be:

The Codfather for some of the most delicious and out of this world seafood. If you don’t like seafood and you don’t like sharing, then don’t come here as this is all they serve.

Get taken up to the counter to choose your fresh langoustines, lobsters, prawns, calamari, and catch of the day a much more!





Don’t forget to have a late night drink in Dizzy’s afterwards. They have late night drinking and smoking inside which is so so weird! I certainly do NOT miss leaving a bar/club smelling of smoke. 



On our last night in Camps Bay we fancied some steak.

The Hussar had been recommended by some family friends, but unfortunately it was fully booked. But the 2nd best thing on TripAdvisor was The Butcher and oh my days!




Somehow we managed to survive the 42km/h winds that evening which had us tripping all over the place and made for excellent Marilyn Monroe photo sessions.





Don’t be fooled by the basic décor and simple awnings, this place is delicious.

They offer a variety of different South African game meats, but somehow I just couldn’t resist their signature steaks.

They had the most intriguing combination of flavours neither one of us could choose anything other than the fillet and boy did we not get disappointed.



My fillet was cooked rare (of course) with a mushroom sauce topped with biltong and avocado. I know! Sounds like the worst combination ever, but somehow it worked.

I am obsessed with mushrooms and avocado and would never have thought to put these two together but wow!

Kim ordered the peppered fillet which was brushed in peppercorns with a rich pepper sauce to accompany, whilst Jess got the king of all fillets. Stuffed with feta and topped with a rich almost like Madeira sauce. It was soo rich but my, did I try something amazing.




Paired with a delightful Pinotage, we had one of the best meals! Little did we know this would be the start of 2 weeks of epic meals in Cape Town. The city just seems to sprout good restaurants with amazing food.


Don’t forget to pop along to Café Caprice for late night cocktails and insane house music to top your night off!



As I said, Camps Bay was a perfect introduction to Cape town. It reminded me of a Miami in Africa but I was ready for the proper proper Cape town.



0 comments:

Post a Comment