Gibraltar Airport (Sorry Malaga!) ~ The Blonde B

19 April 2015

Gibraltar Airport (Sorry Malaga!)

If you've never been to Gibraltar, flying out of their airport is a pretty good way to see it.

The big Rock stands tall and proud at the edge of the water, looking down at all who passes the border into the tiny piece of land.

The impressive back-drop is inhabited by Barbary macaques, i.e: really really naughty monkeys (even naughtier than the ones I met at Longleat!) and is enriched with tons of history which dates back  to the year 711!!!

It also has one of the scariest airports to fly to/from in the world!

So when your other half is terrified of flying - what better airport to depart from?

n



The airport is not that scary. In fact, I think it's the simplest airport to fly from.

They only have 1-2 flights a day. We sat having a beer with my parents watching our plane land, then it took us all of 5 mins from check-in hall to departures and on to the plane!





The runway, however, IS limited by water on both ends, so if the pilot runs out of runway for take off or landing you're pretty screwed. 

So I guess that's why it's named one of the scariest?












































It's fine! No plane has actually fallen in to the sea (yet!)

Gibraltar also has the coolest border-crossing ever! 

To get in to the city you have to walk across the actual runway and the border closes whenever a plane lands or takes off. 

It's also a pretty stunning back-drop for a photo op!


Another reason for choosing Gib airport is that it actually has a decent airline that flies in to London Heathrow.

What is it with Heathrow? It flies to every destination in the world except Malaga!

I'm stuck in a triangle between London Heathrow, Southampton and Bournemouth airport, neither which has great connections to Malaga.

Too many times I've been let down by Flybe (or Fly Maybe) in Southampton - I've had over 4 hours delays, cancellations and I don't think I've EVER left on time. It also has incredibly expensive prices and every time I fly with them I ask myself for what? It doesn't even begin to touch on BA's service and usually a Fly Maybe flight costs you up to £400 one way to Malaga - BA will fly you return to NYC for around the same price.

Bournemouth isn't so bad, but I cringe every time I fly with Ryanair. I can't fault them for keeping on time, but their cheesy jingle at landing makes me feel I'm on a fun fair ride and charging £15 to reserve a seat (£30 to reserve seats for a return!) makes me not want to book flights with them at all. So many times I've seen families with kids being seated apart because it's just too expensive too book 3 or 4 seats - not to mention if you're a family of five! And don't get me started on their website... They try to trick you and mislead you into paying for so many extras with every clic of a button! It makes me so angry!!

Then there is Heathrow - aka: BA HQ - modern, clean and impeccable service for any destination. Close to home, good parking and great airlines. Except to Malaga!

I ask myself why?!

Yes, Gatwick flies to Malaga at good prices but I don't fancy going on a 2 hour drive on the M25 prior to my 2 hour flight to Spain.



So this is my campaign to BA to introduce more LHR-AGP flights!

PLEASE ***Cheesy Grin***

Think of all the people living in the South West of England who don't have access to Gatwick or British Airways. Who are forced to start their holiday cramped in to a little budget airline, paying sometimes extortionate prices for then not to be able to sit with their loved ones, for their flight to be delayed or even cancelled!

What sort of start to the holiday is that?

I also hate the fact I can't collect air miles on low budget airlines. Let's not talk about Fly Maybe's air miles - they will only get you to Manchester or Scotland.  

So please BA come back to Southampton airport, introduce more flights from Heathrow and make the people in the South West of the country happy once again!



Our flight back to the UK was smooth as could be! 

Well I would expect nothing less aboard a BA flight

Even the Mr liked it - a fuss-free airport that flies in to Heathrow - Sorry Malaga!

Oh almost forgot! Outfit details:

Jeans - Asos
Shirt - H&M
Shoes & Bag - Mulberry


1 comments:

  1. Patricia Robling20 April 2015 at 16:08

    BA ought to offer you a job Miss Burt.

    ReplyDelete